Friday 19 June 2015

Refashion Friday: Remade Leopard Print Agnes Top


After the success of my first TATB Agnes top, I knew that it wouldn't be long before another sprang forth from my machine! This time round, I've really explored this pattern's trashier, Rockabilly possibilities. 


Pattern:

I used the same pattern as my previous version, which graded from the Size 3 at the shoulders and bust out the Size 4 for the waist and hips. The only change I did make was to implement what I learnt from the stripy version: that I needed to grade out to a Size 4 around the upper arm part of the sleeves. I fannied about applying, unpicking and the re-applying elastic for the front neckline gathering detail. However, I ended up unpicking it for good as the print is so busy on this fabric that the gathering kind of got lost. 


Fabric:

I bought this humungous, nasty-synthetic leopard print top (pictured above) from a charity a few months ago. Amusingly, the garment label tried to claim a hefty cotton content in the fibre composition. If that is the case, then I can legitimately claim to be 75% inuit. I intended to make some baby trousers from it but ended up finding something else instead which was more suitable. So this top had been knocking about in my sewing corner clogging up the place for months, until inspiration struck.  


Refashion/Remake:

I cut along the original top's seam lines to harvest as much fabric from it as possible. When laying down the Agnes top pattern pieces on to the fabric, I positioned the bottom edges 2 cm lower (see above) so I could use the original top's existing hem on the front, back and sleeve pieces. By eliminating the need to hem, this became a really quick make. I used my overlocker for everything except for topstitching down the neck seam allowance. I did that with the twin needle that came with my regular sewing machine (see below). It's my most successful attempt to use a twin needle so far! 


Thoughts:

This top is awesome, in a trashy diva kind of way. I'm wearing it in these pictures with my denim high waist bow skirt, but I'd love to make some stretchy black capri pants to wear it with. Although I don't like to think what I'd smell like after a day in that synthetic substance! 

I have plans for one more Agnes top project in the near future, then that's my Agnes-appropriate stash busted and I'll have to move on. I'm going to try the poofy sleeve version next, I'm excited to give that feature a try. Have you sewn the Agnes top pattern yet? Or do you have plans to? Which is your favourite combo of features? 

11 comments:

Mother of Reinvention said...

I LOVE this top. It looks great on you and really highlights your figure. I don't know what it feels like on but it looks amazing. Very glamourous and pin up and not trashy at all. Xx

Knitlass said...

Nice print! Looks great - although the description of the synthetic content is making my hair stand on end ;-)

Knitwitsowls said...

This is fantastic! I always look at the extra large clothes when I'm charity shopping! X

tialys said...

Two pints of lager please (only joking) - it looks great but does it crackle when you take it off? - I've got a dress like that :)
I've just bought the Agnes pattern but got it sent to my daughter in the U.K. - to save postage - so it's not in my clammy hands yet. I think I'll leave the pouffy sleeves to the younger ones amongst us but I'm intending to make combinations of all the other features. Love the lower neckline which is quite hard to find in t-shirt pattern land.

vintagerockchick said...

LOVE this version, and I'm even more convinced that this is a pattern I need to try.
I shall start hunting out 'tacky tops from charity shops' in preparation! xx

CosmicCaro said...

Wow! I love your new top on you with that amazing skirt! You inspire me to refashion! :D

Kathryn said...

I love this top, I don't think it looks trashy at all! The scoop neck is a really nice feature of the pattern, it reminds me of the Plantain tee pattern from Deer & Doe. You've made me want a leopard print top now, I'll need to keep my eye out for extra large tops in the charity shops!

Anonymous said...

Unusual and sophisticated. You look stunning. Great eye. Great re-purposing. Dryer sheets help to get rid of static, should you encounter it.
Vancouver Barbara

Lou Lou said...

You totally rock this look! Such a great refashion of a charity shop find. Plus, I am completely in love your high-waisted skirt - so chic!

Amy said...

What a brilliant remake of something from a charity shop, I never would have seen the potential, but it looks so great on you and not trashy in the slightest!

Betty Stitchup said...

I love this look on you Zoe, and what a great idea for refashioning.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...